Au Revoir Oman... !!!! Bienvenue en Inde !!!

Probably the last post from Oman....Well, Finally Finally Finally Time has come for me to leave Oman.... I have been counting days since First October, the day I started counting the number of days I had remaining, before I flew back.... I guess I am one of the three guys who is leaving Oman, as per the promised schedule. All others till now had gotten it screwed up.. either themselves or by the client...

I do not know, what feelings are these... Mixed perhaps... My last 14 months here have been a roller coaster ride to say the least... Mix of emotions... High Voltage Drama when I first took over, and then I shunted it down, slowly, one volt at a time... !!!!
Of course I have my own grudges.. and I am not going to forget them at any cost... Hence, as per my own philosophy, I am not going to forgive too... The grudges will stay... The Scars do remind you of what you have gone through ... The scars are when the wounds heal.. not when they are afresh..!!!

Anyway.... This one is not a recollection of what happened at onsite with me...

I was just cleaning up some files on my laptop, wherein I came upon this file called Travellogue.txt It was supposed to be my travellogue, containing my travel and interesting things that happened to me during my stay in Oman.. but life became very bitter after a point of time.. that I dropped the thoughts altogether...

Here are my first ramblings, on landing in Muscat on 26th November 2008...

Finally in Muscat !!!!

So many procedures, so many documents phew ..

How is the city ?
It looks pretty cool. All roads are clean and straight and wide ...
Slept for some 7 hours straight from about 3.30 local time till 11 local time.
Ate potatoes, kuzhambu, rasam and rice for dinner, which roommates prepared.
Then I slept off again.
The next day, I woke up early .. around 6.30 local time and tried to call my father and mother, but Anand's phone's charge gave way, and so i had to wait for a long time, before i could make any further calls.

Chatted with my best friend over gtalk, for a long time.
There are no autos over here..one major mode of transportation is taxis. who can sometimes charge exorbitantly.


Sounds funny ?? I don't know... May be nostalgic.. ?

A Quick recap at what I will be missing going back home... :)
(This one's inspired by Anand's Post. Don't worry, you cannot access it..:P)

1.) The people... Very friendly.. they don't start a conversation without enquiring 'How are you' (atleast), no matter how critical the issue is..

2.) The roads... Mindblowing... Cars move like Butter on a Hot Aloo Parantha...

3.) The Discipline with which folks drive here... There are some stray accidents... but then come on, for a country that has set 120 kmph as speed limit on a highway, and where the most common mode of transport is a car... this is very much acceptable...

4.) The Cars.. Ferrari... Corvettes... BMW's... Jaguars... Hummers... and of course, my sweethearts... Beetle....

5.) Corniche !!!!

6.) The long hours of window shopping in Lulu and Carrefour... Our weekends flew like this...

7.) Bindaas mornings... :) Getting up at 7:45 for 8:00 office.. :P

8.) Gtalk, Gmail access 24 hours... Never felt disconnected from the world anytime.. though hardly anybody connected to me...:)

9.) Office Politics, Gossip, Rumour and Humour.. We've spent hours on these things, every single day.. !!!

10.) Watching movies and staying up late upto 2 and 3 AM in the morning...

11.) Experimenting with Food.. Maharashtrian, Keralite, Turkish, Karnataka style...

12.) The Beaches... Qantab, Qurum, Al Shatti, Quriyat, Sawadi, Sur.... the list goes on .. :P

13.) Coconut Water and Veg Falafil... :P :D

Of course, my salary at onsite... :) :D


Things for which I really do not wish to stay in Oman...

Exorbitant cost of ISD calls... 200 Baiza for a minute.. ?? In my place, you can finish your breakfast at that cost..

Internet is goddamn expensive.. For a country that wants to computerize all its government related transactions, there is still a long way to go...

Taxi as a mode of transport is slightly expensive.. There can be a better solution...

K A A P I ... I hate coffee from artifical milk... :( :( :O

P.S:- More will continue.. May be sometime later ???
I may end up writing another post like Anand, on the lines of 'Crappier-Things-I-Learnt-at-Onsite'... :P :P
I hope he doesn't mind... :) :D

Thursday, January 7, 2010 by Hari
Categories: , , , , | 1 comment

One Comment

Leave a Reply