When Ram Jethmalani only Talked the Talk...

Recently Ram Jethmalani came up with a statement that had me in splits. The man (I think he is becoming senile. Someone must stop him before he starts saying, I want to defend Nathuram Godse) said...

"A person doesn't become honest by merely refusing to be bribed. He has greater responsibilities as Prime Minister... Manmohan Singh should quit; the country would be better off without him as the Prime Minister."


I am only reminded of the (in)famous Ram Jethmalani interview on Karan Thapar's Devil's advocate. Karan asks a very pertinent question,

"By taking on Manu Sharma's case, is Ram Jethmalani betraying his own principles, more importantly has he scattered all morality and ethics to the wind ?"


Ram Jethmalani's reply to the above question (after much needling and provocation by Karan) was

It's my right to take up any case.
I know why I take up a certain case. Obligation to defend a person against
undeserved vicious onslaught by the media which is subverging criminal justice and the whole criminal process.


I am going to keep it a short post and ask just one question....

Where was the morality when it came to defending the killers of Indira Gandhi, Stock market Scamster Harshad Mehta, Ketan Parekh, Afzal Guru, Manu Sharma just to name a few...

I am sure these people were elevated souls who practised 'Jeeva-Karunya-Dharma'...

P.S: Incidently the second faux pas of the week.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 by Hari
Categories: , , , , | Leave a comment

Leave a Reply